Circumstances around COVID-19 in the U.S. are rapidly changing. We will be collecting information and resources, and sharing via this page to help small businesses and SBEAPs stay abreast of environmental health and compliance guidance relevant to small businesses, as well as resources to help small businesses navigate the resulting economic impacts.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the EPA had a temporary policy, retroactive to March 13, 2020, that allows it to exercise enforcement discretion. This temporary policy ended August 31, 2020. This policy is for the EPA only, and states and local governments may have different responses.
The economic toll of this pandemic has been particularly difficult for small businesses. The U.S. Small Business Administration, or SBA, is offering low-interest economic injury disaster loans to help them recover. Small business owners in all states and territories are eligible to apply. Other forms of coronavirus relief are also available through the SBA.
The Chamber of Commerce has recently published a Coronavirus small business issues and solutions resource guide.This page offers a variety of resources including information on loans available to small businesses and advice for operating safely and minimizing the risk of infection for employees and customers.
If you use masks as PPE in your workplace, please save them for work-related use. Some masks are still in limited supply, and a pandemic respiratory disease is all the more reason to protect yourself from respiratory hazards. However, the CDC is recommending the use of cloth face coverings in public spaces to slow the spread of COVID-19. Also see the World Health Organization's guidance on using masks properly.
For those using N95 respirators in the workplace, OSHA has released new guidance on reducing the need for N95s and finding alternatives for some situations.
- EPA List N: Disinfectants for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- EPA Approval Process for Disinfectant Products Related to COVID-19
- Information on safe disinfectant use-- EPA
- Guidance for Cleaning & Distancing for Public Spaces, Workplaces, Businesses, Schools, and Homes-- EPA & CDC
- CDC COVID-19 Guidance for Businesses, Employers, and Industry
- OSHA Resources on COVID-19
- Small Business FAQs on COVID-19 -- National Federation of Independent Businesses
- Composting in the Time of COVID-19 -- U.S. Composting Council
- Department of Defense Office of Small Business Programs
- National Association of Manufacturers COVID-19 Resources